Piper L-4A, F-AYAY
• Aircraft Type: Piper Aircraft Corporation L-4 A Grasshopper
• Year of Manufacture: 1942
• Powered by: Continental Motors Corp A65-1 • Colour Scheme: USAAF
This L-4 was taken on charge from the Piper Aircraft Corporation at Lock Haven on the 23rd March 1942 and first issued to 126 Observation Squadron at Lawson Army Airfield, U.S.A. She was shipped from the U.S.A in 1944 and assigned to French Morocco for North African French use. She moved to Italy to serve with 12th Air Force Army Ground Forces and then diverted to French Forces.
After the war she was sold as surplus and bought by a French aero club. In 1982 she was acquired by a British owner and moved to the U.K. She then resided at Duxford Airfield, before joining the Ham and Jam fleet in Normandy in 2016.